10 April, 2013

I'm going to Optimius Alive, Lisbon


I'm in the process of planning a work trip to Portugal, and it turns out that the Optimus Alive 2013 music festival is taking place in Lisbon the weekend I arrive. I'm pretty stoked about this, but at the same time I'm not sure whether I went to spend two days at a festival on my own. That said I'm sure to meet fellow festival goers at my hostel, etc., but I'm still a little hesitant.

Friday is out entirely as I'll still be making my way to Lisbon. That said, I am almost certainly going to attend Saturday. I arrive nice and early in the morning, so depending on the schedule I should be able to catch the entire day's line-up. If not, I'm really hoping to at least catch Crystal Castles, Editors and Jurassic5. I'm fairly certain Depeche Mode will perform towards the end of the day as they are Saturday's headliners.

Sunday looks like a good line-up too, with The Bloody Beetroots, Phoenix, Alt-J, and Kings of Leon. Both The Bloody Beetroots and Kings of Leon have previously toured South Africa, although I didn't attend either. From what I've heard from friends, or friends-of-friends, The Bloody Beetroots put on an incredible show, while Kings of Leon left many feeling quite disappointed. It was recently announced that Alt-J () would be the international act at this years In the City (Johannesburg), and Rocking the Daisies (Cape Town). I'd never heard of them before that, so I wont feel to bad if I don't see them in either Portugal or South Africa.

So I've settled on only attending Saturday for now. I also have lectures to attend all day Monday, so attending the festival is probably ill advised, but it'd be very rock 'n roll to arrive at 9:00 AM Monday morning, to meet a bunch of strangers smelling like the burning ruins of a brewery.

I'll still keep an eye as additional artists are announced, but it'll take a massive act like Queens of the Stone Age or How to Destroy Angels to irreversibly convince me to attend Sunday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment