30 April, 2014

The cheapest PS3 game I've bought

Last week I found myself digging through a fairly large basket filled with games for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and various other consoles. A few titles caught my eye, Medal of Honor, Assassin's Creed, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Since there were no prices on any of the cases, I was reluctant to take them all to the check-out counter to find out their prices individually.  I completed the story in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag last night, and I still want to play all the Assassin's Creed games, but I intend getting the Assassin's Creed Heritage Collection. So buying the first title on its own would mean I'd end up with two copies of the same game. I passed on Medal of Honor just because. I figured I already had Call of Duty: Ghosts which fills the military-simulation genre pretty well for me, plus I still have to download, and play through all the DLC that has been released so far. Thus I took only the title that I was most interested in, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I'd read a few reviews about X-Men Origins: Wolverine shortly after it was released way back in 2009, and they were less that flattering. Regardless I'm a big fan of Wolverine, and decided that if the game cost R150, or less, I was going to add it to my collection just for the sake of it. At the check-out counter it turned out that Wolverine cost less than a third of what I was prepared to pay for it. Needless to say it's now sitting in my box of games.

I read a few more reviews after having bought the game, and it turns out that it was R50* well invested. Several years later, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is still regarded as one of the best movie tie-in titles ever released, not that that is a difficult feat to accomplish, and I personally thought the opening animations were more convincing than some more recent titles. I played the opening chapter briefly, and instantly drew on the similarities to this and the God of War franchise. After all the sneaking about I've been doing in Black Flag, perhaps an all out hack and slash adventure that this title promises to offer will be the best way to spend the coming weekend.

--
* R50 is the cheapest I've ever seen a PS3 game retailing for, let alone some pretty good titles. I may go back and get Medal of Honor for my future brother-in-law, as he is a fan of movies such as Lone Survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment