26 August, 2014

50 Display Seasons for the RAF Red Arrows


It's been quite some time since I've posted anything related to my other hobby, building model aircraft. That's partly because a majority of my stash, tools, and paints are sitting in another city, and partly because I've been almost completely absorbed by my newer hobbies, video gaming and photography. Planning a wedding is also partly to blame, as is the lack of a proper workspace to build any models in my new apartment.

Anyway, this year marks a significant milestone for one of my favourite display teams histories, with the Royal Air Force's Red Arrows performing its 50th Display Season. The occasion will be commemorated with a special design applied to the tail fin of the team's Hawk aircraft. 

I am particularly fond of this bold design as it features silhouettes of several Hawk and Gnat trainer aircraft (both of which have been flown by the team) leaving smoke trails which cross to form a stylised Union Jack.

I was fortunate enough to see a Red Arrows display in Cape Town in 1995 while Queen Elizabeth II was visiting South Africa, and would relish the opportunity to see the team perform again.

But back to model aircraft; both Airfix and Italeri are set to release Hawk kits featuring the 50 Display Seasons tail art. Airfix will have both 1:72, and 1:48 versions, while Italeri will only release a 1:48 version. In addition to the two Red Arrow Hawks, Airfix will also be releasing a 1:48 Gnat featuring Red Arrows livery.

I already have an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk in 1:72, as well as an older Revell 1:72 kit with the Red Arrows' millennium tail art. That wont stop me from adding the new Airfix 1:72 Hawk to my collection though, as if it's the same mould as my other Airfix Hawk, it'll be a beauty to build. I still want to build nine Red Arrows Hawks in various configurations, and liveries, and display them in the Reds iconic Diamond formation.

Banner image credit: SAC A. Fletcher; other images: www.raf.mod.uk/reds/

No comments:

Post a Comment