12 December, 2012

How to Destroy Angels 'Ice Age' video and remix

Today How to Destroy Angels premièred a remix of Ice Age by The Soft Moon. Fortunately, much like the last remix, The Soft Moon's interpretation of the song is better than the original.

This is no doubt due to the fact that the twangy, country notes have all but been replaced by 80s influenced drum machine sequences and brooding synth textures that wouldn't have sounded out of place thirty years ago. As J. Wrinkle commented on Facebook, "Trent created HTDA so that he could get away from the NIN industrial rock sound... and this mix just takes it right back." Precisely my sentiment towards the track.

 

The video for Ice Age was released a few days ago, while I was in Thailand without an internet connection. While I'd made the comparison before my trip, after watching this video, as well as seeing a particular behind-the-scene photo from the video shoot (below), I can't help but think that Mariqueen Maandig Reznor looks a lot like a kathoey. That said, the original version of Ice Age is slowly growing on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment