23 June, 2013

Pat Pattle's Gloster Gladiator in 1:72

Some time ago I posted about Airfix's planned releases for 2013. In that post I mentioned my intentions to build one of the mounts of Squadron Leader Marmaduke T. St John 'Pat' Pattle, who is often considered to be the Commonwealth's highest-scoring fighter ace of the Second World War. He was also South African! 

Airfix have made it even easier for me to build a scale replica of Pattle's most famous mount with the release of their Gloster Gladiator Mk. 1 Starter set, which includes decals for L8011, the aircraft flown by Pattle over Egypt in early 1940. 

The paint scheme of L8011 doesn't look anything special, but the history of her pilots certainly is

I'll have to wait a few months for stock of the kit to reach South African shores, but when it does I'll pick up a couple of sets. I might even consider trying to replicate the mount of another of the Commonwealth's most famous Gladiator pilots, that of author Roald Dahl.

No comments:

Post a Comment