01 October, 2013

Playing in an interactive drama


I started playing Heavy Rain this weekend. I've gotten as far as switching characters for the first time, which isn't terribly far. I decided to give it a go since I was tired of collecting rotting zombie brains in Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, and still haven't gotten round to completing Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. I also needed a break from the frenzied button mashing of Mortal Kombat, even though I'm really enjoying the game.

I'd initially given Heavy Rain a go a few months ago after I first bought it, but couldn't make out any of the character's 'thoughts,' due to the low resolution of the TV I was playing on. As a result I found fumbling around quite tedious, and shelved it in favour of God of War II.

Heavy Rain has an interesting concept, whereby it plays more like a movie than a traditional video game. Various elements in the characters surrounding environment are interactive, such as light switches and bowls of fruit. So far I the storyline hasn't really grabbed me, but I am still in quite an early stage of the game.

So far my only real opinion I have of the game is that the controls are a little clumsy at times, as R2 has to be held along with the left analogue control in order to move the character around, and that Jason was an idiot that got what was coming to him. 

Depending on what's happening this weekend, I'll try make some progress in the story, and if I get bored of Heavy Rain's dramatic setting, I'll play a few some button-mashing bouts of Mortal Kombat.

No comments:

Post a Comment