12 May, 2014

Games I've 'clocked' recently, and a poll

I recently completed the single player story of Far Cry 3. I even managed to do so without liberating any of the outposts on the southern island. So after completing the story I spent a few hours wrapping up all the optional missions, liberated all the outposts, and searched high and low to find all the remaining relics and chests.

I probably spent more time 'cleaning up' in Far Cry 3, than I did playing the entire story of the third game in this post. I even went so far as to unlock all the trophies related to the single player campaign, that's just how much I enjoyed exploring the islands of Far Cry 3. There is still the matter of achieving the six co-operative mission trophies before I manage to gain my first platinum trophy, but those will have to wait until I have someone to play the co-op. missions with. Perhaps I'll get a chance to complete one or two of the co-op. missions next month when my brother comes to visit.

Shortly after finishing Far Cry 3, I jumped back into Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and completed all the story related missions too. I had previously played through about 65% of the game, so thought that I still had quite a few more hours if the story left to play. Hence it came as quite a surprise that the final chapter was so short, possibly even shorter than the credits sequence.

Turns out the majority of the remaining 35% of gameplay was all the naval contracts, assassination missions, and hunting down of the remaining collectables. Unlike Far Cry 3, I probably wont be getting round to completing too many of these any time soon, as I didn't find sailing the Seven Seas in Black Flag as enjoyable as traipsing the jungles of Far Cry 3. Maybe I'll give it another go in a few weeks time, after taking another break from Black Flag.

A few days after finishing Black Flag I completed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which had a much shorter, but still enjoyable story. The shortness of Wolverine came as quite a relief, as the previous three games I'd completed (BorderlandsFar Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag) had all taken a vast number of hours to finish, not that I'm complaining.

Now that my gaming backlog is thinning out a bit, I'm on the lookout for another open-world, first person shooter. I've been having a look, and the three titles that come recommended as being similar to both Borderlands, and Far Cry 3, without being sequels/ prequels are Dead Island, Fallout 3, and Rage.

As such, I'm setting up another poll to see which of these three open world shooters you think is the best. In the meantime I'm going to take a bit of a break from playing PS3, as there is quite a lot happening in my life over the next  four weeks, culminating in a week long trip to an Indian Ocean island (or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment